- This event has passed.
Yuri’s Night Houston 5k Fun Run/Walk
April 20, 2013 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 am
Visit the official website for more details.
Hosted by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the Yuri’s Night Houston 5k Fun Run/Walk celebrates the human exploration of space, and is held every year around the anniversary of the first manned spaceflight, as well as the first orbital flight of the US Space Shuttle. In 2012, we had close to 600 participants, and this year we hope to approach 1000. All proceeds are donated to Houston’s branch of the Challenger Center for Space Science Education, an international educational organization founded in April 1986 by the families of the astronauts who died in the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster, and last year we were able to donate over $10,000 to the Center.
As our race has grown, our need for volunteers has also grown, and there are MANY opportunities for people to help out both on, and before, race day. This year, the race will be held in the City of Nassau Bay on Sat April 20th at 8:00am. We are hoping for around 40 volunteers who would help out with the following:
- Course set up (putting out cones, signs, mile markers)
- Water Stations (set up the table, and help hand out water)
- Race day registrations (collect money and forms, shirt sales/exchanges)
- Packet pick up (hand out race bags/shirts/numbers)
- Timing chips (hand out timing chips)
- Food and Drink table (set up food and drink for post race party)
- Monitor NASA exhibits
- Chip removal at the finish line
- Direct runners at various locations out on the course
- Timing helpers (race day registrants, post results)
For those who want to help out with the organization, I am looking for help with the following:
- Someone to help organize the awards
- Someone(s) to help obtain door prizes
- A webmaster
- Someone to manage social media sites
- Someone to help with advertising
- Someone to help obtain sponsorships
- Volunteer Co-ordinator
Race Director – Yuri’s Night Houston 5k Fun Run
See the PDF version of this announcement.